Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Product review: Mirage Flourocarbon Leaders

I highly recommend these leaders for streamers and for nymphing. They are a little expensive but are worth it.  They are highly abrasive resistant and have a low visibly in the water.

For streamer fishing and for single nymphing, I like to go with a 9 foot length.  I've fished streamers with a 7 foot leader in the past and I noticed a better catch ratio with using a 9 foot length. 

If you are fishing a double nymph rig, I would suggest using a 7 foot leader length with an 8-12 inch mirage tippet as a dropper.  Using a longer leader length with a double nymph rig is not recommended because of increased chance of tangles.

Using a leader beyond 9 feet, makes casting a little harder and not really required for general trout fishing in this area.  If the water conditions are super clear/low and the trout are acting spooky, a 12' leader length may be beneficial.


No comments:

Post a Comment