Friday, August 17, 2012

Crazy few hours on the EB today

I have no clue where to start.  It is one of those weird days out there today.  I got three nice hits, two on a pupa caddis and one on a streamer.  Not good enough hook sets to keep the trout on though. I was shunked again today.

I did manage to hook up with another brute carp.  Looked to be at least 15 to 20 pounds.  It was a good 10 minute battle but the line snapped.  This is the 5th carp I've hooked and either the hook pulls out or the line breaks.

I did get to witness and take a picture of a fellow angler's catch out there today.  He landed this monster rainbow almost looked like a hybrid with a cutty.  It had a lot of red color under it's gill plate.  Def a great catch, glad i was there to see it. 

I ended up stepping on another anglers fly rod today.  It was laying down on the path and i did not even notice it.  I stepped on it and broke the rod right in half.  I felt terrible and the angler was pretty upset over this.  He drove all the way up from the city to fly fish.  I ended up giving him my 4 wt orvis streamline rod that i only use for dry flies. I liked that rod, it was a gift and has landed me lots of nice trout over the years.  He was pretty happy with it and he could still fish for the day. Hopefully he enjoys it as much as i did. 

Caught by a fellow angler, not by me.  I took the picture. Great catch!

Nice 10 minute battle with the brute carp, pretty close to landing it like always.  The line snapped.  Was def over 30" at least.  Big hog took a massive streamer. 

11 comments:

  1. how do u manage to hook into those carp?!
    I've tried countless times in phoebe hole and the farthest Ive gotten is accidentally snagging one on a streamer!
    Do you have any advice on EB carp?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those carp are tough to land with my trout setups. Hooking them are easy, landing them is the tough part! They take flies like buggers, crayfish, etc. If you see one feeding, place the fly about 2 feet in front of it's head and slowly strip the line. Never actually landed one yet. I've hooked around 7 or 8 so far and haven't gotten my hands on one yet! Hook pulls out or line breaks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok cool. Next summer I'll bring along a six eight pre rigged.
      Do you see them in other spots besides phoebes?

      Delete
  3. An 8 wt with 2x or 3x should do the trick. Those carp are fun. I've seen them all over the eb. I hooked a monster carp in the bathtub under the bridge. What a battle. Ran under a treat and broke me off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh sick yah I was fishing there one day and like three of them came up to the surface!
    Scared the crap out of me! Would u really use something as big as an eight weight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are going after carp, an 8wt would work very very well. Put 3x to 2x leader/tippet on. I have a 7 wt that i'll use when going after carp. Still yet to land one though, they seem to take a fly pretty easy but landing them is some battle, esp in a stream. They seem to always run under fallen trees and either break the line or pull the hook out!

      Delete
  5. That's farther than I've gotten.
    I've never even hooked one (in the mouth)!
    Do you ever fish below bordens bridge?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fish past bordens bridge a lot. I enjoy fishing down there, not many anglers go down there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it difficult to walk and wade or could you recommend a place to park?
    I assume it's mostly nymph fishing, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy to wade, you can use nymphs, dries and streamers in that section as well. Parking is along route 202, just pull over on the breakdown lane and park. Nice runs and pools down in this section as well.

      Delete
    2. how far down is there access to/is good water?

      Delete